RAF General Hospital, Hinaidi, Iraq
Page 11 of "An Introduction to Iraq" provides a brief description of the RAF General Hospital, Iraq, located at Hinaidi. The buildings were completed in April 1923 with several buildings still in use. The hospital was originally built for 500 beds but this number was gradually reduced to 155 beds. In January 1929, the Air Headquarters was moved from Baghdad to the Hinaidi Cantonment, taking over four wards for the HQ offices and another two wards converted to the Medical Officers' Mess (the existing M.O's Mess having being taken over by the HQ Staff Mess) At the time of publication, (August 1935) the Commanding Officer was Group Captain (who retired in 1946 as an Air Vice Marshall) A E Panter, CB, MRCS, LRCP.