6 Squadron Aerial Photos - Ravine Wood & White Chateau
The two photographs on Page 10 were taken by an RE8 of 6 Squadron, part of the squadron's aerial reconnaissance operations over the Western Front during WW1.
The two photographs were taken east of St Eloi, as defined by the mapping coordinates 28. O. 10. A and 28. O. 4. C, each area measuring 500 yards square and include sections of Ravine Wood and the White Chateau (NOT the White Chateau at Hollebeke). The first photograph was taken on the 8th April 1917 and the second on the 3rd June 1917, 4 days before 19 mines were detonated beneath the German lines along the Messines ridge at the start of the Battle of Messines.