6 Squadron Aerial Photos - White Chateau
The two photographs on Page 9 were taken by an RE8 of 6 Squadron, part of the squadron's aerial reconnaissance operations over the Western Front during WW1.
Both photographs were taken by an RE8 of 6 Squadron over the White Chateau (near Palinbeek - not the White Chateau at Hollebeke), east of St Eloi, as defined by the mapping coordinates 28. O. 4. B and 28. O. 4. C, each area measuring 500 yards square. The first photograph was taken on the 24th April 1917 and the second on the 5th June 1917, 2 days before 19 mines were detonated beneath the German lines along the Messines ridge at the start of the Battle of Messines.